Phil's poker travel

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Back from Europe... also June poker stats


Europe was fun but exhausting. We did so much walking that we all got blisters on our feet.

London... spent two days. Day 1: Took the London Sightseeing bus tour and walked around Soho and Trafalgar Square. Day 2: Visited the St. Paul's Cathedral, Tower of London, the Tower Bridge, London Aquarium.. exhausting day.

Amsterdam... spent two days. Day 1: Took the boat tour along the Amsterdam canals. Never knew Amsterdam had canals and quite many of them! Walked the Red Light District. Day 2: Van Gogh Museum, pot, and more walking along the RLD. Pot was disappointing. I smoked two joints yet didn't feel a thing. My friend concurred. At least now, it is crossed off from my list.

Athens... spent two days. Day 1: National Archaeological Museum. I am an ancient greek art connoisseur :). Point me an object and I could tell you what period it came from (Neolithic, Cycladic, Geometric, Mycenean, Archaic, Classical or Hellenistic). Day 2: Spent time around the Acropolis and its related sites. Athens is super cheap!!! $72 Euro a night plus each gyro is only $1.50 Euro (1 Euro is 1.45 CAD). Heinekens are sold at street carts among other water and pop drinks for $1.10 Euro. What a deal!

Rome... spent 3 days. The Roman ruins were not so impressive because of what I saw in Athens. Same columns and arches and I don't think Rome's stuff was as grand in scale as Athen's. However, the Vatican city did make up for it all. St. Peter's Basilica and its square are humongous. The Sistine Chapel is breathtaking.

Barcelona... spent 2 days. Barcelona has one of the world's best beaches. I spent two days around the beach while my friends spent one day at the beach and the other day seeing attractions of Barcelona, which isn't much.

Paris... spent 3 days. Day 1: Eiffel Tower. Day 2: Notre Dame, The Louvre Museum. Day 3: a free museum, the Aviation club, Arc de Triomphe, Champ Elysee street. You could definitely spent the entire day at the Louvre. Saw the Mona Lisa and other Da Vinci paintings. KN and JC got kicked out of the Aviation Club (a poker club) because of not having proper attire. Leon de Bruxelles is a restaurant to die for if you're into mussels.

June Poker Stats:
Limit Hold'em $10/20: $2,250, 11.6 hours, $194/hr.

I only got to play one week out of four. Two weeks I was in Europe, one week I was in Virginia Beach and was dropping by Harrisburg. From those road days, I managed to squeeze in 2 or 3 hours.

July Forecast:
These days, my plan is to play as little as I need to but with a lot of intensity. My aim is to make $400 a day when I can. There will be slow (even money) or bad (losing money) days. So the said target is not set in stone. Some days I love it when I only need to spend 30 mins to reach my target. Those days I have the whole day off to do whatever I want.

July will be an intense month of solid poker. I will do two things: play my regular 10/20, and qualify for the WSOP main event. Although last year's WSOP result was disappointing, I had a lot of fun. Can't wait to be back there. Crossing fingers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home